- May 16th, Urban Agriculture Conference/ Slow Food NYC Panel Discussion
- May 16, 2013 11:00 AM
- May 16, 2013 12:30 PM
- May 14, 2013
- NYU Kimmel Center
60 Washington Square S, Manhattan , NY, United States
The Horticultural Society of New York presents their 3rd Annual Urban Agriculture Conference. This year’s conference will focus on increasing the awareness of food security in our struggling economy and will explore the potential of food production in urban environments as a prominent and viable alternative.
Every day the trip from farm to plate is growing smaller in cities with the expansion of Urban Agriculture. The UAC will bring together gardeners, landscape designers, teachers, farmers, architects, parents, community organizers, and others to address challenges and share success stories. Themes to be explored: food and culture, community networks, sustainable urban agriculture, youth engagement, economics, local food sovereignty, policy, and more!
Slow Food NYC will moderate the panel discussion: Empowering Youth: Developing healthy habits, young leaders, and sustainable communities
- Casey Townsend (Boston Natural Areas Network)—Engaging Youth in Rooftop Farming in Boston’s Food Deserts
- Pamela Ito (The Horticultural Society of New York)—An Essential Marriage: Green Infrastructure & Food Production
- Erin Fiene (University of Colorado)—Healthy Kids, Healthy Scores
- Martina Kenworthy (Slow Food NYC)—Moderator